Friday, September 08, 2006

Thursday and Friday - Progress Finally!!

The last two days have been blissfully quiet here in the NICU. Sadie finally stabilized late Wednesday night, with only one bad episode. Thursday she was quiet almost all day, and last night was great. I actually went to the hotel and slept because she was doing so well. Of course, I was also heavily medicated to GET to sleep, but what the hay... just leaving her is progress on my part. The nurses have all been awesome, and the doctors are so helpful and patient as I ask a trillion questions.

We are now hoping that Sadie will be able to have surgery possibly early next week. I'm stealing myself for that and reading up on what to expect post-op, but can't wait to get over it all. She is doing so well. She's starting to look like my baby again - the fluids are draining and she is getting cuter by the second. I've loved being able to finally touch, talk and sing to her. I finally am feeling like I AM a new mom and not just an outsider watching in horror.

We had a great nurse yesterday, Karen, who let me play "dress up" with Sadie - we draped her in an outfit and took some pictures (I'll post them later). That evening we had another super nurse, Youngli, who washed her hair, brushed it and made her smell pretty. She is lookin' good now! Today's nurse, ironically, is named Esther (Sadie's grandma was Sadie Esther, her grandma's name is Esther too). She's been lots of fun and helped me out a ton with figuring out how to pump in the room so I don't have to leave each time I need to do it (every 2 hours).

Today has been quiet. They've weened her off of the Dopamine, taken her oxygen down to 60% (had been 100%), and her Nitric Oxide is almost weened off. This is all good news as it all means she's a step closer to surgery. Tonight will be a telling night - how well she does without the NO is still in the air. Thus far, she's done great. Keep us in your prayers, though we still have a long road ahead!

3 comments:

  1. Kim, thanks for putting up the blog and making the reports.

    Our blog is at: http://charlesdailey.net/blogger.html

    Charles and Lois Dailey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    Sadie is beautiful. She will make a lovely wife for Alexander...I am already planning the rehersal dinner.

    Hugs and kisses,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Hey buddy!

    Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to e-mail or comment on the blog, but you've been in our thoughts and prayers every day. Glad to see Sadie (who will, thanks to the Beatles, always be Sexy Sadie to me!) has turned a corner in her development.

    Alastair is really pulling for her, you know. He's thrilled about having another gal in his potential girlfriend pool.

    Be strong and have faith.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete