Saturday, December 27, 2008

I hate ICUs

I hate the smell, the beeps, the droning fans and the life support machines lying around. I hate when the staff start saying "every case is different" followed by "I haven't seen this before." But even more so, I hate when they avoid responses to your questions, or worse, don't tell you of changes. I can see changes. I'm not blind.

Edema is setting in fast - I went home for 2 hrs, and came back to +3 swelling in his extremities. He's had to be suctioned more frequently, and it's thick and bloody. They avoided explanation, until I asked them if what I was seeing was acurate. They agreed (who knows what they are holding back that I don't see). Yeah, I'm officially worried now.

Monday is now the very earliest they will extubate.

6 comments:

  1. Kim please let us know if there's anything we can do. If you need to talk to Michael, we're around. We're keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

    Big hugs,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:51 PM

    Kim, we're here praying with you! Please let us know if you need any help at all.

    -Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Kim - Jason and the girls are lucky to have such a strong wife and mom. We are thinking about you all and hoping for a better day tomorrow.

    love,
    the Mentons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:50 PM

    My thoughts are with you. Sometimes ICU doctors and nurses forget they are dealing with real people. Keep reminding them. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. (615-300-8901).

    George

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard about Jason. You, Thies and your children are in our prayers. I am not sure which hopsital Thies was admitteds to, but my aunt works for a couple of hospitals in the Richmond area and could potentially be a helpful resource for you (i.e. making sure you get the attention / service you need).

    Andrew Smith
    amshokie@gmail.com
    703-725-6919

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Kim,

    I'm so sorry! I had no idea any of this was going on until just now. No wonder I haven't heard from you in awhile. My heart and prayers go out to you during this very difficult time. I know I'm not exactly down the street but if there is something I can do please let me know. ((HUGS)) to you and the girls and of course Jason.

    Natalie Sanders

    ReplyDelete